SAFE Hosts Goodwill Micro-Enterprise Fair Nov.19th

The Adrian and Siena Heights Community (SHU) needs to be SAFE. This new SHU student organization stands for students advocating for everybody and is starting off the year hosting a micro-enterprise fair this Wednesday, Nov. 19th, from 10-2 p.m. in the McLaughlin University Center.

Small business people from the local Goodwill will be selling their crafts. Everything from flower pens to dog treats will be for sale.

SAFE is still in the process of becoming an official student organization, but that doesn’t stop the members from already beginning to make changes on campus.

The organization began last spring when SHU held a campus event where someone in a wheelchair could not enter the building. “It really brought to light the situation,” said the President of SAFE Club, Jacob Bultema.

The mission of SAFE is dedicated to promoting awareness and advocacy for students, staff and community members with disabilities around Siena Heights and the community.

Advisor of the club and Director of Disability Service, Laura Lyall shared, “The SAFE club is a group of students who are passionate about advocacy for students, staff and faculty at Siena Heights. SAFE will be sponsoring activities to make the opportunities on this campus accessible to all.”

One important question members ask is how easy is it for someone with a wheelchair to get around campus? Some doors don’t have automatic door activation buttons, or some simply aren’t working.

The members even discuss markers for teachers to use for the colorblind. If the teacher is more aware of the situation, it will help students achieve their goals.

One mission the club has already begun plans on is a campus living area that will include handicap accessible furniture. Right now the club is applying for a grant to be able to make this plan a reality.

The club only has about five to six members, but it keeps growing. SAFE meets every Thursday at 12 p.m. in McLaughlin University Center Hub.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, “Eleven percent of undergraduates in both 2003–04 and 2007–08 reported having a disability.” Of that eleven percent about 47% were students in the 15-23 age range.

“We want to be the voice for those whose voices aren’t heard,” Bultema noted.

For more information about Goodwill of Lenawee County’s Micro enterprise program visit their website at: http://www.goodwillsemi.org/index.php/lenawee-linc