‘Uplifting’ Gospel Concert Feb. 6 at SHU

On Feb. 6, Siena Heights University will host the second annual Gospel Concert. This uplifting concert will take place in St. Dominic Chapel at 5 p.m.

Sponsored by the offices of Campus Ministry and Diversity and Inclusion, this concert features many different groups, including SHU’s own Chorale and the choirs from the Image of God, Christ Temple Ministries, and Bethel AME community churches. Along with the various groups involved within this event, special guests Myron Shorter and the Galatians Singers will be joining the concert.

Even though this uplifting concert is for one night only, it is a concert organizers say you definitely don’t want to miss. With the special guests and the SHU Chorale, there is going to be a bunch of groups coming together to worship God.

“The purpose of this concert is to reach out to students who feel that they need spiritual growth and who may not be identified as Catholic,” said Lonnie Pugh, Diversity and Inclusion graduate assistant.

Pugh said he has had the chance to see Shorter and the Galatians Singers during his time at the church he attended.

“I went to church with them, and they are like family to me,” he said. “I grew up with quartet groups in the churches I attended, and they have a beautiful sound and worship about God. They also branch out and perform at different colleges all over and spread their ministry to college students and praise about God. They also show these college students that they can show their religion and praise God, even though they are off at college.”

Why should students attend this concert?

“From attending this concert, the Siena community will be able to see how people are in church and how different religions mix together to push towards one common goal: to worship God,” Pugh said. “People worship in different ways, but they come down to the specific goal. This concert will help the community get a better understanding of different cultures and how they are different, but are striving towards one goal.”

The concert is free and open to the Siena community.