Saints Sports Roundup: Jan. 20-26

Jan. 20

Women’s Basketball vs. Davenport, 79-63 L

No. 8 Davenport was too much for Siena Heights in a 79-63 loss for the Saints. Rebounds were the story, as the Saints were out-rebounded 47-27 by the visiting Panthers. The Davenport bench also had their way, outscoring the Siena bench 29-11. Junior April Watson led the Saints with 20 points and eight rebounds in the loss.

Men’s Basketball vs. Davenport, 72-57 L

The men’s basketball team didn’t have much more luck than the ladies against Davenport, falling 72-57 in a game where the visiting Panthers shot a red-hot 50 percent from the field. The Saints were led by freshman Tremaine Brown and sophomore Tony Jackson II, both of which contributed 12 points and four rebounds in the loss.
Jan. 22

Women’s Track & Field @ Aquinas, 1st of 4

The Saints won 11 events at the Aquinas quad meet where they placed first out of four teams with 213 total points. The meet was highlighted by the performance of senior Kasey Renshaw, who broke the fieldhouse record in the weight throw at 20.32 meters. The performance also broke her previously held NAIA, WHAC and SHU record. Renshaw will be competing at the USATF Indoor National Championships later this year in Portland, Ore.

Men’s Track & Field @ Aquinas, 1st of 4

Following in the women’s footsteps, the men’s track and field team won 10 events on its way to a first place finish with 180 points. Senior Richard DePalma beat his own pole vault record at 5.12 meters and currently ranks first in the NAIA. The Saints also dominated the weight throwing category, where they filled all five of the top five positions, led by senior Paul Jacobs who threw for 17.02 meters.

Men’s Volleyball @ Lourdes Tournament, 1-3 Record

The Siena Heights men’s volleyball team season starter their season with a 1-1 split, which included getting swept by Robert Morris (Ill.) 0-3 and sweeping Lawrence Tech 3-0. In the match against Robert Morris, junior Brody Davidson led the way with six kills and junior Matthew Dugan recorded 10 digs in the loss. In the win against Lawrence Tech, sophomore Tyler Hubbard-Neil led the way 13 kills and junior John Kalugar chipped in with 12 digs.
The Saints went 0-2 in the second day of the Lourdes tournament, losing to No. 9 Clarke (Iowa) 3-2 and No. 7 hosting Lourdes (Ohio) 3-1. In the Clarke match, junior Matthew Dugan led the way with 18 kills and junior John Kalugar had 17 digs. Against Lourdes, sophomore Tyler Hubbard-Neil led the way with 16 kills, 10 digs and three aces.

Women’s Basketball @ Concordia, 70-65 W

The Saints were able to grind out what seemed to be an even matchup throughout against the hosting Concordia Cardinals. After heading into halftime tied 29-29, the Saints won the third and fourth quarters by scores of 22-19 and 19-17 on their way to a 70-65 victory. After their loss to Davenport, the Saints picked up their rebounding intensity, out-rebounding the Cardinals 46-28 in the win. Junior Jaaliyah Arrington led the way for SHU in scoring with 18 points, while senior Lauren Wirth posted 10 boards and 11 points for a double-double.

Men’s Basketball @ Concordia, 75-60 W

A strong second half in which the Saints outscored Concordia 48-27 propelled the Saints in their 75-60 victory over the Cardinals. Senior George Goodman led the way for the Saints in scoring with 28 points, while freshman Christopher Pearl posted 10 points, 11 rebounds, and five assist in the win.