Student Organization Spotlight: Men of Distinction and Sisterhood of Saints

“These ladies are the most self-sufficient group I have ever advised in my last 10 years,” said Sharese Mathis, advisor of both Sisterhood of Saints and Men of Distinction, explaining the dedication the members of S.O.S. displays.

This past Friday, both M.O.D. and S.O.S. worked together to host the “Back 2 School Mixer.”

“It was successful for our first event,” said Daniell May, treasurer of S.O.S.

“We’ve had many people show interest in our group now,” said Mike Fomby, president of M.O.D.

This event was designed not only for students to have fun, but to get the word out about both of these groups. Both groups are sorority and fraternity interest groups on campus. Mathis told group members that in order to become a full-fledged sorority or fraternity, she would need to see the interest and dedication. By next year, she said there may a couple more options for students to join in terms of Greek life.

S.O.S. is a service-based group open to all women on campus, but focused mainly on those of color. Members are currently collecting water to donate to the water crisis in Flint. Those women who want to make change on campus should consider joining this group.

“We’re more than friends or a group. We’re sisters,” said S.O.S. Secretary Sharmaine Wills. She said this foundation has led to a successful group so far.

M.O.D. is also a service-based group open to all men, but designed mainly for men of color.

According to Fomby, Men of Distinction’s mission is to “push their members to excel academically, socially, personally and professionally.”

One of their main goals is to increase their members from 10 to 30 by the end of this year, as well as put on events and participate in giving back to the community.

Any student who would like to join either of these groups, M.O.D. meets at 9 p.m. every Wednesday in the Ledwidge Ballroom and S.O.S. meets at 8 p.m. every Sunday in the University Center living room.

men of distinction

Members of the Men of Distinction group represented at the Jan. 18 MLK Dinner.