COLUMN: The Challenges of Commuter Life

The commuter life is one that few chose to do. It requires a lot of planning and work to get your whole schedule and clothes changes down to a tee. I have memorized where all of the microwaves, napping places, and quiet study places are on campus – it’s almost like a dance between staying organized and being completely flexible. Depending on how far you live, you might be calculating how much gas you will use in a given day and will take care to be extra vigilant while looking for the cheapest gas prices.

Siena Heights does this incredible week where they celebrate commuters. Each day there are certain events or tables set up for the commuters that will make our day easier. Although I have not been able to attend each event, I think this whole week is an incredible gesture towards commuter students.

On Monday morning I was welcomed with a huge smile and warm cup of coffee on my way to my 8 a.m. class by Jarrod Stober. It was pretty incredible, I definitely felt appreciated.

Tuesday, the first 50 commuters received a free lunch.

Wednesday in The Hub, there were free gifts, food, and coloring.

Thursday, commuter students will have the opportunity to answer trivia questions and complete scavenger hunts all over campus. This event was especially appreciated by commuter students, because we can do it any place on campus and do not have to be worried about staying on campus for the whole event. Graduate student Kiersten Diachun won a prize for answering one of the trivia questions. She says, “I liked how the trivia game was on social media but you had to do some digging to find some of the answers. It was really creative.”

Friday there was a scavenger hunt for a gas card.

Overall, it does not matter how many commuter events I went to. I just appreciate that Siena Heights has a week where commuter students are highlighted. It is a great way for commuter students to feel welcomed even if they only spend a few hours or days on campus at a time. The commuting community has this indelible bond of understanding the fun and interesting twists a day can throw our way.

Thanks to my on campus friends, I have been able to survive and thrive through them all.