First Town Hall Meeting Elects New Senators

Siena Heights Student Government recently had its first Town Hall meeting in Rueckert Auditorium. The meeting had the presence of members from most clubs on campus and students interested in the campus event.

Previously called General Assembly, the meeting now called Town Hall had its name changed with the intention to bring more students to the event. According to members of the e-board, the old name carried the idea of a very formal meeting, which is not necessarily the case. The Town Hall meetings are open to all students and everyone is welcome to bring ideas to the board, they said.

The meeting began with the election of the remaining open positions for class representatives, also known as senators. The students who were interested in those positions introduced themselves and explained why they would like to join the Student Government body.

Then, the students who attended the event voted to elect the candidates. The new senators are Lydia Schwerin and Jacob Wilson representing the freshmen class. For the junior class, the senators are Arthur Gwoszdz and Bebo Khalil. Alexa Howard and Justin Lempicki are the new senior representatives.

Also, there were two at-large positions that were filled by Ellie Kebler and Stanley Saunders. The Student Government body already had its sophomore senators; Ashley Best and Haley Hoffman were elected last year.

After the elections, a few topics were brought up to the discussion. For example, the weight room hours and how they can benefit non-athletes as well. Another topic was the petition to get a punching bag for the multipurpose room. Also, a few students suggested the possibility of getting hammocks to be installed throughout campus.

If a student wants to bring ideas to improve campus, the next Town Hall meeting will be conducted Oct. 12 at Rueckert Auditorium. For more information about Student Government, contact the e-board members at [email protected].