The student news site of Siena Heights University

Spectra

SHUper Bowl Party Review

On Feb. 5, an estimated 175-200 students gathered in Rueckert Auditorium in Dominican Hall to watch history be made. The Student Programming and Recreation Committee hosted a SHUperbowl Party for all students to come eat some good food and have fun while watching the Super Bowl.

Students who came out to the event, and especially stayed until the end, saw history be made as the New England Patriots came back from being down 28-3 in the third quarter to send the game into overtime, the first time a Super Bowl went into overtime.

Not only did the Patriots come back from a 25-point deficit and send the Super Bowl into its first overtime, but they ended up scoring a touchdown on the first possession in overtime to give them a 34-28 victory over the Atlanta Falcons.

Everybody who got to watch the game was able to witness some of the greatest catches ever made, including one by Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman, who might have saved the Patriots’ chances of coming back. Everybody also got to see Patriots star quarterback Tom Brady win his fifth Super Bowl in seven appearances, giving him the most Super Bowl rings by any quarterback and tying him with most all-time by any player. The only other player to win five Super Bowls is Charles Haley.

Patriots head coach Bill Belichick also made history as he set a record for most Super Bowl wins by any head coach with five wins.

SPARC members and SHU students had nothing but positive things to say about the SHUperbowl party. SPARC President Jarrod Stober said it was a great event to put on and watch the game on a big screen.

“It creates opportunities for students to have some wings and enjoy a sport tradition that has been going on for the last 51 years,” Stober said.

Senior Nate Adams talked about how great it was to see the students come together and support the event.

“It was a great environment and, obviously as a Pats’ fan, I am happy with the outcome,” Adams said after the game.

SPARC Vice President of Programming Emily Couture talked about how she loved all the awesome events SPARC gets to put on and highlighted some of her favorite parts of the event like the good food, the photo booth, and the fact that it looked like everybody was having a good time. But, she said her favorite part of the event was Adams.

“Nate was the funniest as he ran out of the auditorium screaming during the comeback win,” Couture said. “It was awesome to watch the Patriots make history not once, but twice, even though I gave up hope in the third quarter.”

SHU PIC President Cody Kangas described the party as an overall fun event.

“I enjoyed getting to talk to and photograph all of the fans; they were very enthusiastic and seemed to really like the props,” Kangas said.

Junior social work major Mitchell Prater said it was a good event put on by SPARC and that he had a lot of fun.

“I stayed until the end and had a lot of fun with the little group of people that stayed until the end,” Prater said.

It was “SHUper,” said junior graphic design major Anthony Fox. Fox said how SPARC is always doing the best for the students at SHU. He also talked about how much he has loved going to the SHUperbowl parties since he got to Siena Heights and how they are always a great environment.

“I was very excited to share this historic win with the SHU community, and I look forward to coming to the party again next year to hopefully see more history be made,” Fox concluded.