‘The Fab Four’ at Siena Heights

Coming to you live from Siena Heights University, it’s Sissy Phillips here today to enlighten readers about my picks about the upcoming events (Feb. 19-25) at Siena.

If you’ve looked at the calendar for this month, you know there are many options each day. Sometimes, it can be overwhelming. You may be wondering “Which ones are worth my time?” Here are my “Fab Four” picks for this upcoming week:

1. Monday, Feb. 20: Finding Your Roots at Cotton Brewing Co., 6:30 p.m.

Debra Middleton will present on “Finding Your Roots: Tracing Family History.” This was made possible by the Ethnic and Gender Studies Institute and part of Siena’s Black History Month celebration. According to Julie Barst, head of the Institute, Middleton “will offer our community some important insights into the process of genealogical research.” She will provide tips and strategies for finding one’s own ancestry research, discussing both traditional methods and cutting-edge technologies, Barst added. “She will also inspire us with stories about the challenges she has faced and the incredible discoveries she has made throughout her journey of researching her African-American ancestry,” concluded Barst.

1. Tuesday, Feb. 21: Zumba with Nicci in the UC Multipurpose Room, 4-5 p.m.

Zumba is offered every Tuesday at 4 p.m. and now every Thursday at 7 p.m. in the UC Multipurpose room, as well. It offers students and the community a different and fun way to work out. According to Nichole Hood, instructor of Zumba, “Zumba is a great way to bring your heart rate up and not even know it! My Zumba class is a combination of Latin music mixed with Hip Hop. The choreography is fun and energy-packed and my favorite thing about it is that you don’t even need to be a dancer. I love to teach it because it is a whole hour to help someone’s motivation.  I see people go to the gym and spend more time on their phones that on the machines. There are no phones in my class and you leave sweaty, sore, and smiling.” I can personally attest to this statement. I am no dancer, by any means, but this class doesn’t require you to be. All it requires is for you to bring a positive attitude and be ready to sweat your butt off!

1. Wednesday, Feb. 22: Mario Kart Tourney in Ledwidge Ballroom, 7:45 p.m.

This Wednesday, a Mario Kart tourney will be coming to our campus, as a fun, creative way to raise money for Campus Ministry. David Konture, student and member of Campus Ministry, encourages students, faculty and staff alike to attend “the first ever Mario Kart tournament fundraiser for Campus Ministry for a night of faith, fun, and good food. Only $2 to enter and it guarantees you one race. The winner moves on and there will be fantastic prizes for the top three racers of the tournament.” Gear up, Saints! There will even be free food from Hooligans.

1. Thursday, Feb. 23-Saturday, Feb. 25: “She Loves Me,” Francoeur Theater, 8 p.m.

SHU students have been working very hard for the upcoming show, “She Loves Me,” directed by Kerry Graves. Freshman Allyson Szymanksi, who is cast in the production, had this to say: “It’s a romantic comedy and it’s like a non-stop kind of show. There’s always something to keep you laughing or wondering what’s going to happen next. The movie ‘You’ve Got Mail’ is based off this musical.” If that’s not enough to convince you, Szymanksi said all the leads are killing it, and specifically mentioned that Patrick Wallace has the voice of an angel and Matthew Porter’s falsetto brings her joy. Come and support your fellow Saints in this production.