Saints Sports Roundup: Week 5

Siena Heights University Athletics

February 8

Women’s Basketball @ Aquinas. W 69-59.

The Saints played a close game in the first half before starting to slowly pull away to a 69-59 victory over conference opponent Aquinas. Leading the way for SHU with 31 points, 15 rebounds, and four blocks was April Watson. Redshirt freshman Demi Russell added 15 points off the bench. Contributing with 10 rebounds while leading the team with six assists and two steals was sophomore Sharmaine Wills.

Men’s Basketball @ Aquinas. W 72-71.

After a strong second half, the Saints were able to come back on the road and beat conference opponent Aquinas, 72-71 after a game winning layup by Keith Jordan Jr. with 1:52 remaining. Chris Pearl led the Saints with 19 points. Senior Jerrell Martin contributed 13 points, while collecting 13 rebounds. Kevin Smith added 13 points off the bench, going 3-4 from behind the arc. Redshirt sophomore Nick Randle contributed seven points while leading the team with six assists and four steals.

February 10

Cheerleading @ WHAC Championships.

The Saints earned 62.23 points in the preliminary rounds before scoring 61.47 points in the final round to finish with an overall score of 61.66 points, earning fourth place overall in the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference competition.

Men’s Volleyball VS. Cincinnati Christian (Ohio.) W 3-1.

The Saints won the first set 25-19 before dropping the second set 26-28. The Saints then came back to win the next two sets 25-19 and 25-20 to win the match 3-1 over Cincinnati Christian (Ohio.) Leading the team with 16 points, 12 digs, and five service aces was Tyler Hubbard-Neil. Matthew Dugan and John Kalugar both finished the match with 14 kills apiece. Leading SHU with 43 assists was Keegan Crawford.

Men’s Track & Field. @ GVSU Big Meet

Devonte Johnson finished 3rd in the pole vault with a vault of 15 feet 9 ¼ inches. Brent Rodden finished 3rd in the 800m dash with a time of 1:50.88. The 4X4 relay team of Blaine Ellington, Dominic Muessig, Joshua Miles and Torin Anderson ran an automatic qualifying time of 3:19.05. Anthony Vermilye ran an automatic qualifying time of 4:13.53 in the mile.

Women’s Track & Field. @ GVSU Big Meet

Sheila and Tasha McKinley tied for 3rd in the pole vault with automatic qualifying vaults of 3.66m. Charlena Williams hit the provisional standard in the triple jump with a jump of 11.10m. Asia Gardner ran an automatic qualifying time in the 200m dash going 25.11 seconds. Mariah Ridal won the 600m dash with a time of 1:36.17. Brianna Pekel and Alexis Moore finished 2nd and 4th in the 600m dash with times of 1:37.18 and 1:37.38, respectively. All three 600m runners ran an automatic qualifying time.

February 11

Men’s Volleyball VS. Campbellsville. W 3-0.

The Saints won the first three sets 25-20, 25-14 and 25-21 to sweep the match and defeat Campbellsville 3-0. Leading the Saints with nine kills and eight digs was Tyler Hubbard-Neil. Ryan Hafner contributed eight kills. Keegan Crawford had a big match as he had a team-high 40 assists, nine digs, three blocks and two aces.

Men’s Volleyball VS. Cardinal Stritch (WIS.) L 1-3.

The Saints lost the first set 21-25 before winning the second set 25-17. The Saints then dropped the last two sets 18-25 and 20-25 to lose the match 1-3 vs Cardinal Strich (WIS.) Leading SHU with 19 digs and 18 kills was Matthew Dugan. Tyler Hubbard-Neil and Julian Ayer earned 11 and 10 kills, respectively. Leading with 50 assists and contributing seven digs was Keegan Crawford.

Women’s Basketball @ Marygrove. W 82-75.

The Saints were able to hang on, on the road, and defeat conference opponent, Marygrove 82-75. Leading the team with 25 points and 16 rebounds was April Watson. Jaaliyah Arrington added 19 points, going a perfect 7-7 from the free-throw line. Contributing 13 points of the bench was Ashley Perry. Clara Waidley and Sharmaine Wills both scored in double figures scoring 12 and 10 points, respectively. Azalea Miller led SHU with seven assists.

Men’s Basketball @ Marygrove. L 78-94.

The Saints struggled on the road as they lost 78-94 to conference opponent, Marygrove. Leading the team with 23 points off the bench was Keith Jordan Jr. Jerrell Martin added 15 points while leading the team with 14 rebounds. Tony Jackson finished with 11 points. Nick Randle and Chris Pearl added three steals as Pearl also tallied two blocks.

Men’s Track & Field. @ Tiffin Dragon Invite.

Freshman Juwan Willis placed in the top three with a height of 6 ft 2 ¾ inches. Jacob Compagner had an automatic qualifying performance in the weight throw with a toss of 17.60 meters to place fifth.

Women’s Track & Field. @ Tiffin Dragon Invite.

Ashley O’Neill won the weight throw with a toss of 17.22 meters. Mariah Ridal finished 2nd in the 800m dash with a time of 2:23.65.

February 12

Women’s Bowling @ 48th Annual Hoosier Classic.

The Saints finished 36th out of 66 teams at the 48th Annual Hoosier Classic. Leading the Saints with a 1116 total pin-fall was Tiffany Logan. Olivia Cabildo finished with a game-high of 204. The Saints also bowled 15 baker games in a three five game series with scores of 867, 957 and 889.

Men’s Bowling @ 48th Annual Hoosier Classic.

The Saints finished 36th out of 78 teams at the 48th annual Hoosier Classic. Leading the Saints with a six-game total pinfall of 1171 and game-high score of 267 was William Shaffran. Steven Cadwell and Keith Reid finished with a total pin-fall of 1131 and 1115, respectively. SHU bowled 15 baker games in three sets finishing with scores of 868, 1079 and 846.