Humanities Division Adds Creative Suite for Students

Junior Amanda Shawver works on a project in inDesign for her journalism class. (Photo Spectra Staff)

Buried deep in a far corner of the Siena Heights University (SHU) library is a new addition: the Spectra and Eclipse production lab.

Dr. Christy Mesaros-Winckles, the program coordinator for communications, was one of two people who spearheaded the renovation of a library room into what is now a fully-furnished Spectra/Eclipse lab. The other, Alexander Weinstein, the program coordinator for creative writing, commented, “We needed a space where we could work with designer programs like Photoshop.” With a room generously given by the library, it provides much needed space for the duties these organizations carry out such as editing, printing, writing, and space for student meetings.

The lab itself contains many brightly-colored chairs and desks. “The computer chairs and desks were bought from IKEA,” Mesaros-Winckles explained. “We wanted to have a fun, vibrant, creative atmosphere for the lab.” When asked why the room used Macs instead of the regular PCs in the main library, Weinstein replied, “Macs tend to be better for graphic design and are more user-friendly.” Many of Macs were donated by art department after they upgraded their own Mac lab. With the computers, posters and flyers can be created, edited, and completed. All computers have the Adobe Editing Suite, and they will soon have Final Cut Pro as well.

The lab can comfortably accommodate a small classroom or group, such as Weinstein’s Eclipse classes and Mesaros-Winckles’ news

The Intro to News Reporting Students take advantage of the labs Mac computers with  the Adobe Editing Suite. (Photo Spectra Staff)
The Intro to News Reporting students take advantage of the labs Mac computers with the Adobe Editing Suite. (Photo Spectra Staff)

reporting classes. “The news reporting students are working on newspaper layout assignments this semester. Having a classroom where they can access InDesign easily is awesome!” Other classes are also using the space such as adjunct English professor Dr. Andrew Winckles’ ENG 212, a humanities research class working on developing an online archive of Methodist Hannah More’s eighteenth century Cheap Repository Tracts through Omeka. The class uses the lab to work on the website, adding critical annotations and contextual essays to the 1798 edition of the tracts that are also included on the website.

In addition to classes, the lab is also used for editorial meetings or all-nighters. Coffee and tea are supplied as refreshments as students work in the lab.

“This is where the magic happens,” Weinstein said.  Both Mesaros-Winckles and Weinstein expressed a desire to have more artists engaged graphic design for Eclipse and Spectra.

Any students interested in pursuing literary publishing, editing, are welcome to enroll in Eclipse for credit or in the Spectra class for credit.

Student submissions are welcome at both publications. To submit to Eclipse, send work to [email protected]. Spectra submissions can be sent to Dr. Mesaros-Winckles at [email protected]. Students are also encouraged to check out the Spectra website for the latest campus news at https://www.shuspectra.com