SHU’s Random Acts of Kindness Week: Share Your Story

From Feb. 14-20 will be Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) Week at SHU. To get a closer look at RAK Week, Spectra talked with Assistant Dean for Students Gabe Dunbar about what this thoughtful week entails.

What exactly is Random Acts of Kindness Week?

“Random Acts of Kindness Week, or RAK Week, is a week dedicated to little things in life. We all have been touched by small gestures of kindness from others. Whether it’s holding the door open, picking up trash, or giving someone a hug; we all appreciate the little things. RAK Week is Feb. 14-20.”

What is the history of RAK Week?

“We are celebrating RAK Week in connection with https://www.randomactsofkindness.org/.  This web site tells hundreds of stories about people doing small things that turn into huge blessings.”

How long has RAK Week been happening?

“This is the second year that we’ve celebrated this at SHU. Last year was small, but we’re trying to get more people involved and raise awareness for it.”

How do students get involved?

“We are encouraging students to think about something small they can do to make someone’s day better. We’re also asking students to share if they’ve been the recipient of a Random Act of Kindness on our Facebook page Siena Saint. We’re hoping to hear about hundreds of little things happening across campus.”

Can you give an interesting experience you’ve had during the week?

“I love seeing the reaction from people when they benefit from a RAK. It’s a great feeling. Wait and see what happens next week and I’m sure you’ll hear lots of great stories.”

What do you think this means to the students? And what does it mean to you?

“I think these little things will mean a lot to our students. It’s great to receive blessings, and it’s even better to pay it forward and do a RAK for someone else. Share stories of RAKs that you’ve experience and then pass it on!”