SHU Welcomes New Student Organization: NAfME Collegiate Chapter

“Let’s start this thing!”

This was the feeling Amelia Balinski, secretary of the National Association for Music Education (NAfME) Collegiate Chapter, felt herself, as well as the others interested in starting a Collegiate Chapter of NAfME here on campus.

According to their web site, NAfME “works to promote the importance of music education, foster the best possible school music programs across the nation, and advance music education as a profession.”

This organization is composed of only Music Education majors currently, but it is open to all students.

So far, they have done smaller projects in order to get their name out there and their presence known on campus. However, Balinksi said they have a couple bigger events involving the community planned for next year.

So far, at every music performance here at Siena, they have run a can drive, as the type of “fee” for admission, and donated every perishable good to the Fishes and Loaves food pantry in Adrian.

“We hope to do an end of the year campus clean up as well,” said Balinski.

She said their collegiate chapter works to advocate for Music Education in the community, schools and college level.

“We are advocating for the kids when they cannot themselves,” said Balinski. “Not all families and students can afford to pay for music lessons, which is something we hope to create a solution for.”

One of the ideas in progress is attending the local schools and offering private music lessons for a dollar.

Those interested in joining, please email [email protected].