SMA to Host Sixth Annual Faculty/Staff vs. Seniors Basketball Game

On April 25, the Siena Heights University Sport Management Association will host the sixth annual Faculty/Staff vs. Seniors basketball game at 7 p.m. in the Fieldhouse.

The event is free and will showcase graduating seniors going head-to-head on the basketball court with staff and faculty from around the Adrian campus.

“Basically, we get seniors and different staff and faculty that want to participate and treat it as a send-off for the seniors to have fun,” said senior Nicole Morgan, current president of SMA. “It’s a really fun event. It’s about getting the staff involved with the students for community engagement.”

Each year the game has a specific theme. This year’s theme: Hawaiian.

That’s right, participating seniors and faculty will be wearing a combination of leis, Hawaiian shirts and sunglasses as they compete on the basketball court for bragging rights among students and staff.

So, what staff can students expect to see in the game?

“As of right now Christian Howard is playing,” Morgan said. “We have a couple of grad assistants playing. Patrick Mayer is playing. We try to get staff from a bunch of different departments and not just athletics.”

Any senior interested in playing in the game should contact Morgan at [email protected]. The game usually features about 15 seniors.

The game is one of two annual events hosted by SMA each year. The on-campus group also coordinates the annual Dodging Cancer dodgeball tournament that takes place during the first semester of the school year.

As president, Morgan said she delegates and leads other students in SMA to plan sporting events on campus. For her, the four years as a member of the organization has provided her with endless experiences that are sure to compliment her sport management degree upon graduation.

“I have defineitly learned a lot in terms of working with people, and it’s given me a different side of being on campus with community engagement,” she said. “As a student, it has been really fun working with people and planning events. There is something to be said about people enjoying your events and complimenting them saying you did a good job. Putting on an event and seeing all the students enjoy it is such a great.”

With Morgan and others graduating from SHU, the SMA organization will be looking for new students to join next semester. The club is open to all students regardless of majors. Pre-law, accounting, marketing and many other majors besides sport management have played a role in the development of the organization.

Anyone interested in becoming a member of SMA should contact Associate Professor of Sports Management Peggy McCann at [email protected].