Issa Speaker: Embrace Sustainability at SHU

On April 6, Dr. Justin Mog from the University of Louisville presented a lecture about “Embracing the Challenge of Sustainability: Transforming Campuses, Reshaping Minds & Investing in our Common Future.” He has worked with students, staff, and faculty to create a horticultural zone that houses native plants, fruit trees, raised gardens, and so much more on the University of Louisville campus.

After greetings from Siena Height Assistant Professor of Biology Dr. Thomas Wassmer, then with a message from Vice President of Academic Affairs Sharon Weber, Mog was welcomed to the stage.

“Sustainability is about balance,” said Mog. “We need to build a society that taps renewable resources and cultivate diversity to gain sustainability. What goes into the atmosphere is a big part to our big future.”

He went on to talk about different ways to gain sustainability.

“Sitting is the new standing, so why not bike?” said Mog. “We need to build sustainability as a part of the university’s mission.”

Mog then told how to gain sustainability on campuses and how to save energy.

“Diversity is key in renewable energy,” he said.

Mog said he hoped his presentation empowered students, faculty and staff in the room to want to take action at SHU, change the way energy is used and how to gain sustainability on campus. The question-and-answer at the end of the presentation also opened up the room to questions about sustainability.