Earth Week: A Little Change Can Make a Big Difference

The Green Light Club is hosting its annual Earth Week celebration, which is April 17-22. There will be many different types of events going on during the week that will motivate the Siena community to change their lives just a little to help the environment.

On Sunday, there will be tree planting at the Motherhouse from 1-3 p.m., Meatless Monday by Chartwells on Monday from 11 a.m.-1 p.m., “Fair Trade, Fair Word” Exhibit by Andrea Rumler on Tuesday in the University Center, oceanography presentations at the Scholarship Symposium on Wednesday, the Campus Clean-Up Challenge from noon-2 p.m. in the UC, and Campus Red Maple Planting at 5 p.m. for Earth Day on Friday, which will take place on the lawn between the Dominican Hall and the UC. The red maple planting event was started by Siena student Erin Russell, who decided our campus needed trees and took charge in making that happen.

“We decided to create a whole week dedicated to Earth Day because it goes about the fact that it isn’t just a day, it is a lifestyle. It gives people who may have sporting events on the actual day to participate,” said Elaine Johnson, president of the Green Light Club. “It helps students realize that they can make small impacts to help the environment.”