Saints Sports Roundup: Through Sept. 13

Siena Heights University Athletics

August 19
Women’s Volleyball vs. Mt. Vernon Nazarene
The Saints suffered a loss of 3-1 to Mt. Vernon Nazarene. Freshman Paige Hudgin had 13 kills and 17 digs while junior Abby Whitehead had 12 kills and freshman Haley Oleson had 17 digs.
Women’s Volleyball vs. Goshen
The Saints swept all three sets resulting in a 3-0 win over Goshen. Junior Abby Whitehead scored 13 of the team’s 51 points with 12 kills, two digs, and two blocks. Junior Amanda Metz had 18 digs and freshman Haley Oleson had 21.

August 20
Women’s Volleyball vs. Grace
The Saints took all three sets against Grace for a win. Junior Gabrielle Kalugar had 14 digs while freshman Haley Oleson had 13. Freshman Paige Hudgin had 10 kills and scored 12 points for the Saints.
Women’s Volleyball vs. Lawrence Tech
The Saints won all three sets against Lawrence Tech. Junior Amanda Metz had 27 assists and two digs while freshman Haley Oleson had 18 digs. Junior Abby Whitehead had seven kills on the day.

August 22
Women’s Soccer vs. Viterbo (Wis.)
The Saints won 2-1 over Viterbo. Viterbo lead the first half with a goal by Maria Michels in the 26th minute. In the second half the Saints responded with two goals by junior Samantha Bartelotti one assisted by Alexis Gainer and the other unassisted.

August 23
Men’s Soccer vs. Goshen
The Saints suffered a loss of 2-1 to Goshen. The first goal of the game was made by SHU’s freshman Alessandro De Santis in the 66th minute, but soon after Goshen responded with two goals to clinch the win. Sophomore Leo Hisamatsu was in goal for the Saints and made seven saves.

August 30
Women’s Soccer vs. Spring Arbor
The Saints suffered a loss of 1-0 to Spring Arbor. The lone goal of Spring Arbor was made in 74th minute of the game. Junior Meghan Bogg was in goal for the Saints completing 5 saves on the day.

September 2

Women’s Volleyball vs. Montreat

The Saints took the ‘W’ from Montreat with a score of 3-1. Junior Amanda Metz had 29 assists and 10 digs while junior Gabrielle Kalugar had 16 digs. Freshman Paige Hudgin had 11 kills as well.
Women’s Volleyball vs. Lawrence Tech
For their second match, the Saints won again, sweeping the sets 3-0. Junior Amanda Metz had 23 assists while junior Gabrielle Kalugar had nine. Sophomore Taylor Felver had nine kills while both Metz and freshman Paige Hudgin tallied with five each.

September 3
Football vs. Lindenwood Belleville
The Saints started out their season strong with a win of 31-16 over Lindenwood-Belleville. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Lucas Barner passed 235 yards for two touchdowns both scored by redshirt sophomore Deontae Rush. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Garrett Schaller also took the ball for two runs resulting in two touchdowns for SHU. The Saints defense had three sacks and four interceptions on the day.
Women’s Volleyball vs. Rio Grande (Ohio)
The Saints took home yet another win defeating Rio Grande 3-2. Junior Amanda Metz tallied up 40 assists for the Saints. Freshman Paige Hudgin had 17 kills while junior Abby Whitehead had 12 kills.
Women’s Soccer vs. Martin Methodist
The Saints played into double overtime against Martin Methodist for a 0-0 tie. For the Saints, junior Meghan Bogg was in goal and made seven saves. SHU had a total of nine shots while Martin Methodist had 25.
Men’s Soccer vs. Mt. Vernon Nazerene
The Saints fell to Mt. Vernon Nazerene 3-2. In the eighth minute junior Rahbar Khan broke past the goalie for a shot and scored the beginning goal of the game for the Saints. Junior Luis Miguel Anaya scored again for the Saints in the 69th minute, but with a tie of 2-2 the game went into double over time. Taylor Dyson scored in the second overtime for Mt. Vernon to secure the win. Sophomore Leo Hisamatsu was in goal for SHU and made six saves.
Men’s Cross Country @ Calvin Knight Invitational
The Saints placed 10th at the Calvin Knight Invitational. Senior Dominic Muessig lead his team by placing 37th with a time of 27:01.3 in the 8k, not far behind were senior Timothy Young placed 44th with a time of 27:14.7 and senior Kyler Vanwormer placed 48th 27:27.1.

Women’s Cross Country @ Calvin Knight Invitational

The Saints placed fifth at the Calvin Knight Invitational. Junior Ashley Russo lead the team by placing 11th with a time of 18:58.4 in the 5k, behind were her teammates senior Lucio Alfaro who placed 34th with a time of 19:45.0 and senior Kristin Stobinski who placed 35th with a time of 19:49.7.

Men’s Golf @ Lou Collins Memorial Tournament

The Saints took 10th at the Lou Collins Memorial Tournament with a score of 644. The top finisher for the Saints was junior Nick Sansctainte who took 31st place with shooting a 157. Freshman Aaron Bitz and freshman Jimmy Monteith both had scores of 162 while freshman Jamer Kuenzer had a 163.

Women’s Golf @ WHAC Jamboree

The Saints placed fifth in the WHAC Jamboree. SHU junior Andrea Richards took first place of the entire tournament with a total of 78 and par of +6. Junior Ashley Bearden came in 15th with a total of 85 and par of +13 while junior Lauren Cojei came in 24th with a total of 90 and par of +18.

September 5
Women’s Soccer vs. Cumberland
The Saints suffered a loss of 3-0 to Cumberland University. All three goals scored for the Bulldogs were made by Emily Shires. Junior Meghan Bogg started in goal and had four saves while junior Taylor Hill finished in goal having three saves.

September 7
Women’s Volleyball vs. Lourdes
The Saints fell to Lourdes 3-0. Junior Amanda Metz had 21 assists and 10 digs while junior Gabrielle Kalugar had 24. Freshman Paige Hudgin had 12 kills while junior Abby Whitehead had four and sophomore Taylor Purcell had three.
Men’s Soccer vs. Huntington (Ind)
The Saints got their first win of the season over Huntington of 1-0. In the 15th minute of the game, sophomore Matt Wilkie scored the goal for the Saints that would give them the win. Leo Hisamatsu was in goal for the Saints and had four saves.

September 9
Women’s Cross Country @ Indiana Wesleyan Twilight Invitational
The Saints placed third in the Indiana Wesleyan Twilight Invitational. Junior Ashley Russo lead the team by placing sixth with a time of 19:07.2 in the 5k, behind were her teammates Senior Lucio Alfaro who placed 17th with a time of 19:38.3 and senior Mariah Ridal who placed 19th with a time of 19:47.6 .

Women’s Golf @ Jon P. Spiess Memorial

The Saints took first place overall in the Jon P. Spiess Memorial Tournament. Junior Lauren Cojei and Senior Alyssa Fausneaucht tied for second place with a score of 79 and a par of +8. Juniors Andrea Richards placed fifth with a score of 80 and a par of +9 and Ashely Bearden placed seventh with a score of 81 and a par of +10.

September 10
Women’s Soccer vs. Roosevelt
The Saints dominated Roosevelt for a win of 9-1. Sophomore Taylor Mulder had three goals and junior Samantha Bartelotti had two. Erin Scheidel, Emily Burkman, Alexis, Gainer, and Emily Loar all notched in a goal apiece. Senior Taylor Hill was in goal for the Saints and had three saves.

Football vs. Missouri Baptist
The Saints dominated for a win of 38-10 over Missouri Baptist. With 2:45 left in the first quarter, sophomore Brock Quinlan kicked a 41 yard field goal starting a lead of 3-0 for the Saints and they would keep that lead the rest of the game. With 8:46 left in the third quarter, the Saints red shirt sophomore Raymond William intercepted the ball for a 15 yard run ending in a touchdown. A little over a minute later, Red shirt junior Dont’e Fox had a five yard run also ending in a touchdown and with 3:25 left in the third quarter red shirt junior Da’vonte Price intercepted the ball for a 45 yard return into a touchdown. Lastly, with 3:04 left in the game red shirt sophomore Tony Addison completed a four yard run for a touchdown putting the Saints up 38-10 for a win.

Men’s Soccer vs. Cleary
The Saints won 2-1 against Cleary. Cleary’s Noah Schneider scored the first goal of the game in the eighth minute. In the second half the Saints responded with a goal by sophomore Elmedin Celovic in the 45th minute and another in the 50th by senior Collin McLaughlin to secure the win. Leo Hisamatsu was in goal for the Saints and had five saves.
Men’s Golf @ WHAC Jamboree
The Saints took ninth in the WHAC Jamboree. Robert Kowalenko placed 22nd with a score of 77 with a par of +7, Nick Sanscrainte placed 31st with a score of 80 with a par of +10, and Jimmy Monteith placed 44th with a score of 86 with a par of +16.

September 11
Women’s Soccer vs. Robert Morris
The Saints tied Robert Morris 1-1 in double overtime. The lone goal by the Saints was scored by junior Emily Burkman in the 36th minute. The Saints Meghan Bogg was in goal and had three saves on the day.

September 13
Men’s Golf @ Jon P. Spiess Memorial
The Saints placed 6th in the Jon P. Spiess Memorial Tournament. Freshman James Kuenzer and junior Wyatt Spalding tied for 8th with four others with a score of 75 and a par of +3.
Women’s Soccer vs. Marian (Ind.)
The Saints battled against Marian and won 2-1. In the first half, Marian’s Olivia Annee scored in the 26th minute and ended the half 1-0 in favor of Marian, but in the second half, Siena responded with two goal to take the lead. A goal by sophomore Taylor Mulder was scored in the 46th minute and in the 68th minute the game winner was scored by sophomore Danielle Eastman.