Ready to Register for Classes?

Ready to Register for Classes?

With the end of the semester rapidly coming to an end, it is time to register for classes for the winter semester.

However, students need to be cleared by their advisors in order to register for the next semester’s classes. Therefore, the university’s Academic Advising Office promotes two weeks of advising, so students can schedule a meeting with their advisors to prepare them for registration. This year’s advising weeks happened from Oct. 24-Nov. 4.

Director of Academic Advising Wiona Porath said the advising meetings are more than simply getting cleared to register. She said that “the goal of academic advising is for students to create relationships with his or her academic advisor. Advising sessions should be used to set goals, discuss the future, think about what you can do with your major and many more items.”

In previous years, Advising Week would consist of only one week. This past year, they changed to two weeks of advising. According to Porath, “advising was changed to two weeks last year to see if people liked it better. The response was overwhelmingly positive. It allows advisors to spend more time with their advisees, and it allows advisees more time to get a timely appointment prior to registration.”

When asked if she had any tips for students going through advising for the first time, Porath said that, “students should prepare for advising, much like they do for class. They should research their major, prepare questions for their advisor, think about what to be involved with both professionally and socially. They should have a schedule planned, prior to seeing their advisor. Of course, all students should have an updated degree plan.”

Web registration began Nov. 7 when seniors will be able to choose their winter classes. Then, on each following day registration opens for juniors, sophomores and freshmen students.