Spectra

Filed under Sports

Preview: Indoor Track and Field

The track and field team is getting their indoor season underway. The team competes through March, where they will finish with the NAIA Indoor National Championships.

It will have a short break before starting the outdoor season, where it will finish with the outdoor NAIA National Championships at the end of May. The Saints had their first track meet last weekend where they got off to a hot start. The team has a lot of talent again this year and looks forward to another successful season. The coach of the men’s team, Tim Bauer, and the women’s coach, Kirk Richards, have led the track program to many successful seasons.

Bauer said they havem “a lot of talent back this year and are ready to compete for another WHAC championship.”

In their first meet of the season, both the men’s and women’s teams did very well. They both earned multiple automatic qualifiers and provisional qualifiers. The team looks forward to getting as many people qualified for nationals as possible.

“They are all working really hard and we push them to be their best so they can compete at their highest level,”  Bauer said.

The Saints are looking forward to competing at nationals in search for a national championship. They have consistently placed high at nationals and look forward to it again this year.

The men’s team has top performers in the 800, high jump and weight throw, while the women have very strong finishers in many events like the 60-meter hurdles, triple jump and 200-meter dash.

The Siena Heights track and field team is looking to compete at a very high level and have a great season this year.