Homecoming Decorating Contest: Offices and Departments

The Office of Student Engagement organized a 2018 Homecoming Decoration Contest to help faculty and staff get involved in the Homecoming festivities. Any office or department that was interested in participating simply had to email Director of Student Engagement Dexter Overall to sign up.

Each department and office was required to decorate according to the Homecoming student theme of, “Here We Glow Again.” On Oct. 4, a panel of student judges selected a winner, and the winners were announced on Oct. 8. The department or office that wins will receive a free lunch for all employees in their office.

The employees of the Career Services and Advancement offices decorated their areas to represent the glow of the city lights of campus and the energy of the Siena community’s excitement for Homecoming. The original idea came from all of the employees who make up the Advancement Office, and the extra ideas came straight from Pinterest.

Coordinator of Annual Giving Shawna Wilson was one of the main creators of the décor. When asked if the Advancement Office was expected to win, Wilson said, “Duh! Most of us in Advancement are Siena graduates and we are just as excited about Homecoming as the students are. We are all pretty competitive in the office!”

They had some competition, though. The Athletic Office has also decorated their windows to the theme, “Here We Glow Again.” Glow sticks hanging, and painted glowing eyes coming out of the darkness, are just a few of the decorations that can be found on their windows.

The Career Service and Advancement, Engaged Learning Center, Athletics, Public Safety, and the Division of Education all competed. Their decorations were judged on the use of theme, creativity and school spirit.