The Scoop on the SHU Shop

Mark Barden

Reporter

The SHU Shop is located on the first floor of the McLaughlin Student Center, right next to the bookstore. (Spectra Staff)
The SHU Shop is located on the first floor of the McLaughlin University Center, right next to the bookstore. (Spectra Staff)

The Siena Heights University (SHU) community has a new convenience shop on campus, the SHU Shop. It features on-the-go meals, snacks, and Starbucks coffee.

Among the more popular options at the SHU Shop include cheese sticks, salads, and pizzas to go. Amelia Balinski, a freshman, remarked, “I really like the SHU Shop because it’s convenient. I like not having to go back to my room for food.” Caleb Maib, a sophomore commuter, agreed. “The SHU Shop is very convenient for those of us on a budget who want something to snack on and would prefer to not spend money on a meal plan.”

Just like the former snack area in the Sage Union, students may use their flex account for purchases at the SHU Shop. The shop is still growing and finding out what best fits the students’ needs. “[The SHU Shop] has great potential, but it needs to grow,” SHU freshman Allison Walsh noted. Walsh’s suggestions included more on-the-go meal variety, including subway sandwiches that Sage snack bar once offered.

However, while some students miss the space in Sage, adding Starbucks to the new SHU Shop has been a very popular addition to campus food offerings. Starbucks, in the eyes of the students interviewed for this story, is what the Halo grill is for the cafeteria. While the SHU Shop cannot take Starbucks gift cards, it does serve many of the traditional Starbucks favorites such as the caramel macchiato, frappuccinos, and the brand’s iconic coffee.

The SHU Shop has also become a hit among the faculty and staff who appreciate the convenience. “Having Starbucks on campus is amazing. I love being able to stay on campus and get my caffeine fix instead of driving over to the Starbucks on the other side of town,” said Dr. Christy Mesaros-Winckles, assistant professor of English. Additionally, Professor Linda Pratt of the music department noted, “I consider the SHU Shop ‘healthy fast food’.” “It’s an alternative to burgers and fries.”In addition to Starbucks and healthy alternatives, the takeout pizza is also a faculty favorite. “I like that you can get a whole pizza for $6,” Nicholas Kaplan, assistant professor of Spanish, noted.

Any suggestions can be reported to SHU Shop employees.