PREVIEW: Men’s Basketball

The Saints lost a lot of talent from last year by graduating seven seniors. This year, the Saints have a much younger team (only having two seniors on the roster),  so the team will need to have a lot of players step up to replace the seniors who left their legacy.

The starting lineup in the previous year featured now graduated seniors, but a very talented group of freshmen and sophomores will likely step in to fill these big shoes.

Last Tuesday was a very tough start for the Saints as they lost to undefeated Grace College 81-70. Kevin Rice, a senior, led the Saints with a double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Grace College dominated the glass with 44 rebounds to the Saints 29 rebounds.

Grace College also scored 16 more points in the paint. The Saints played well in the first half leading 39-38 at half time, however the Saints were outscored by 12 in the second half.

The Saints were also led by some young talent that is starting to step up this year, not only did senior leader Kevin Rice do some really good stuff on the glass and even shooting the ball going seven for eighteen from the field and shooting 83 percent from the free throw line.

The Saints also had a terrific shooting performance from sophomore Jace Norton, who went four for six from behind the three point line and had one steal and one assist in last Tuesday night’s loss. Joshua Moody who is also a sophomore went three for six from the field, one for two from behind the arc, and two for two from the free throw line.

Unfortunately, the Saints will not be playing until Dec. 12 due to the new state of Michigan order. Until then, the Saints will definitely be doing what they can do to stay in shape and try to put themselves into position to be successful this season.

With the young talent that the Saints have there is no doubt that the future is bright, and with the senior leadership that the Saints have it should definitely help the younger up and coming players not just this season but moving forward.