Living a ‘Double Life’

When asked to write stories for Halloween, a spark went off in a third-grader’s mind.  After writing 10 gruesome stories about decapitation and spilling guts, usually most teachers would be concerned, however he told him to keep writing more of them. Fast forward decades, that little boy is now an award-winning, published author — and maybe even one of your professors.

When professor Alexander Weinstein isn’t teaching “Introduction to Creative Writing,” and “Reading and Writing 1,” he writes stories. His first book “Children of The New World,” published in 2016 is available in Barnes and Noble, Amazon, and the school bookstore.

Weinstein summarizes his book with “it portrays a near-future world where technology has changed the shape of our society.”

When asked if he always wanted to be an author he says yes, however after getting knocked into reality by having unrealistic expectations, he realized how hard the process is.  Though getting rejected over 400 times, he still managed to get it published.  After the success of the first book, it was time to move on to the next.

He said being a college professor and an author is very difficult to balance, so Weinstein decided to take a sabbatical and work on his second book, which you will be able to purchase in January of 2020.  Asking about what it’s like to be on sabbatical leave, he says that it’s a wonderful thing being allowed to focus.

Talking about his next release, he states that, “The collection continues the idea of a near-future world where technology has become king, but this book focuses on how our technology has limited and altered the way we love one another.”

Wondering where all the inspiration comes from, he replies “from everyday life.” For example, one of his short stories “The Islanders” about a father/son duo where the father is watching the son dive away, is inspired by his 16-year-old son leaving for college soon.

To him, they all have “human love at their core.”  Though what makes him proud of his work is that over the years Weinstein learned to make stories that make him happy to write, and he wants the next generation of writers to do that as well.

With teaching a creative writing class, he’s able to elevate and support students and their work.  As for advice he gives to wannabe writers, he replies, “The key is to approach your writing with love, and to return to the page, again and again, with a sense of play and joyous bravery.”