Pipe Bursts at Campus Village

Spectra Staff

After 5 pm on Thursday, Jan. 9th 2014, a water pipe burst in the Siena Heights University (SHU) Campus Village Apartments, because it was attached to the sprinkler system it caused the fire alarm and sprinklers to go off throughout the building.

Freezing temperatures caused the  pipe to shatter and start a massive ground floor flood. The pipe was located above the parking lot entrance doors. When it burst, pieces of the ceiling fell along with gallons of water.

The lobby was covered with water and leaked into the elevator shaft. Two bedrooms in campus village had minor water damage including wet floors and carpet.

The SHU Department of Public Safety and maintenance department worked to clear the flood and ensure safety of the building. Guards stood at all entrances making sure residents did not return to their apartments. Since it was a sprinkler pipe that exploded the building became a fire hazard to residents.

CLA Dayna Crumback was on duty on the first floor when it happened. “I was doing my office hours and heard a rush of water, almost like a waterfall, and then the fire alarms started to go off. So I grabbed my radio and started clearing the building. DPS was there instantly.”

Director of Public Safety Cindy Birdwell stated, “First and foremost, we want to thank everybody, custodial, maintenance, public safety, campus village apartment staff, they’ve done a wonderful job. The damage was contained to the lobby areas, so the residents did have to be evacuated, and I want to thank them for their participation and  cooperation in the matter.”

To stay updated on the safety of SHU’s campus sign up for SHUALERTS by texting the word, “Adrian,” to 79516 or follow on Twitter (@shualerts) to keep informed.