Saints Hold Off Missouri Baptist, 42-35

Following their big win in St. Louis last week, the Siena Heights football team put on yet another scoring display against Missouri Baptist, scoring 42 points in the home opener Sept. 12.

Coming off of a huge first week, quarterback Nick Gilliam made his second straight start for the Saints at quarterback due to senior Travis Zajkowski still having to sit out due to injury. On the second play from scrimmage, Gilliam found senior Reggie Blackmon along the sideline for a 45 yard touchdown and the first score of the game.

Following that drive, the Spartans would answer with a touchdown of their own on a big 52-yard pass play to tie the game at seven.

The defense would make up for it the next drive when redshirt sophomore defensive tackle Tyaire Bragg made a strip-sack, allowing redshirt freshman defensive end Cohen Canter to pick up the ball for a defensive touchdown, putting the Saints up 14-7.

Following that drive, the Saints’ defense forced the Spartans to punt, and that’s when senior Reggie Blackmon took the punt 75 yards for a very impressive touchdown run, which included several key blocks.

Following another strong showing from the defense, Gilliam answered again with another pair of touchdown passes. This time though it would be to senior Aaron Doriot from 22 yards out and about two minutes later to redshirt freshman Damon Wright from 15 yards away putting the Saints up 35-7.

Following a strong first-half showing, some critical mistakes came into play for the Saints, who ended the first half up 35-14 after giving up an interception for a touchdown. Two key interceptions, where one of those ended up in another score for the Spartans, allowed Missouri Baptist to nudge their way back into the game and eventually get the score close at 35-28.

Following the third interception by the Saints offense, redshirt freshman Lucas Barner was subbed in at quarterback. With just under eight minutes left in the game, Barner connected with Wright along the far sideline for a 79-yard score putting the Saints up 42-28.

The individual play from the receivers is what has stood out to Lyall the most so far.

“Reggie Blackmon’s punt return is one of the best I’ve ever seen,” said Lyall. “That’s ESPN worthy.”

Doriot’s steady play at the “Z” receiver position has been very key this year. Teams who try to double cover Blackmon have to deal with the big play ability that Doriot brings to the team.

From a defensive standpoint, Lyall said the secondary is outstanding and that the defensive line has played very well. He said he is also very pleased with the kicking game from freshman punter Nick Porreca and freshman placekicker Brady Tanguay.

“The two freshmen that we’ve asked to step in have done a great job,” said Lyall. “This team has a lot of potential, and I’m extremely excited about being a part of it.”

Eventually the Spartans would score with about a minute remaining in the game, but it was too late and with an onside recovery by redshirt freshman receiver Deontae’ Rush and Barner taking a kne, the game was over.

Gilliam finished the game 21-30 for 265 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions. Barner finished the game 7-10 for 130 yards and one touchdown.

Overall, Lyall said he was satisfied with the win, but expects more from his team as the season goes on.

“We need to improve on assignments,” said Lyall. “At this point we’re scoring a lot of points, but we’re missing (points). There are more points out there.”

In order to continue the recent success that the team has endured, Lyall said preparation is key throughout the week and practices.

“We always have to come to practice with a purpose,” said Lyall. “We have to take ownership of the team. It’s our team.”

The Saints took on Concordia University-Ann Arbor Sept. 19 in a night game at O’Laughlin Stadium at 7 p.m. The game eas a “gold out” due to the Saints wearing their all-gold jerseys.