New Director of Diversity and Inclusion Salsas Her Way into Hispanic Heritage Month

There’s a new director of Diversity and Inclusion at Siena Heights University, and she’s already creating a new era. Sharese Mathis has not skipped a beat and is already planning many events, starting with Hispanic Heritage Month.

The Office of Diversity and Inclusion sponsored Latin dance lessons to celebrate the kickoff of Hispanic Heritage Month. A cumbia and a salsa were taught among other dances in preparation for Friday night. On Friday there was a dance in Trinity Garden. Los Hermanos Villegas, a local Tejano/Conjunto group, performed. There was music, games and giveaways throughout the night.

Mathis said three typical dances are performed at these events. “…they are very basic dances that you can learn.” Los Hermanos Villegas has a very dedicated following in the Adrian community, the group’s hometown.

In addition to the dance, on Friday there was a luncheon, for those who purchased tickets, which served as an event where members of the community are coming and honoring a few families from the local area.

Diversity and Inclusion also collaborated with the sorority on campus Phi Sigma Sigma to do a school supplies drive.

“Those items will go to some of the children that live on the migrant farms here,” said Mathis.

This is Mathis’ first year on campus, and so far, she said she is enjoying it.

“A lot of good things are going to be coming out of my office pretty soon. I’m trying to bring some new initiatives to campus and even expanding on some things that have already been here,” Mathis said. “Safe zone was traditionally a program that was associated with saying that you support the LGBTQ community and your office is a safe zone.”

She said she plans on expanding the Safe Zone program and making it more inclusive.

“Ultimately people feel that if you work with students, they need to be able to come and talk to you about whatever,” she said. “Safe space will give people the opportunity to deepen their understanding.”

“Everyone is really nice, and usually if you see me on campus, I’m usually talking to someone or a bunch of people. I’m still working on getting people’s names because I struggle a little bit,” Mathis said, laughing.