Women’s Volleyball Finshes 2-1 for the Week

The Siena Heights women’s volleyball team competed in two conference games at home, where they came out on top both times. On Friday, the Saints took on the Mustangs from Marygrove College where they won in four sets (3-1), and then on Saturday they matched up against the Indiana Tech Warriors. The Saints swept the Warriors and captured another tally in the win column with that win in three sets (3-0).

Against Marygrove, it was sophomores Abby Whitehead and Leze Vukaj who lead the Saints in kills with a combined number of 30 (13 from Whitehead and 17 from Vukaj). The Mustangs as a whole only contributed 37 kills to the match compared to the Saints’ 61. Also standing out for the Saints was senior Carly Tillotson, who led the team with 41 assists.

Sophomore Kat Xavier stated that the lack of self-discipline and communication that Marygrove had resulted in the Saints being able to dominate them in four sets.

“We kept the intensity up even though they (Marygrove) were pulling us down,” said Xavier.

Then the following day against Indiana Tech, the Saints brought their “A” game against the Warriors, as they didn’t allow them to get past 20 points in all three sets of the match. Freshman Ashleigh Shay and Vukaj led the Saints with 10 kills apiece, and Whitehead also contributed in nine kills. Tillotson led the Saints again in assists with 28, while the lone assist left came from senior Nicole Morgan.

“Similar to the Marygrove game, they (Indiana Tech) weren’t working together as a team,” said Xavier. “We worked very well as a team during that game.”

After capturing those two keys wins, the Saints hoped to carry those over into a big conference rematch against Davenport. The Saints took home the win the first match on Sept. 2 in three sets and hoped for similar results heading into Grand Rapids on Oct. 7.

The Panthers, having defeated the Saints in the rematch in four sets (3-1), have moved up past the .500 mark and are now 13-12 overall and 7-5 in the WHAC and are now ahead of the Saints in the conference.

“We could’ve played more consistent rather than up and down,” said sophomore Julie Bonk.

The Saints are now sitting with a solid 9-7 overall record, 6-6 in the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference.

They will again take the court Wednesday Oct. 14 at Northwestern Ohio and also on Homecoming Friday Oct. 16 against cross-town rival Adrian College.