Adrian Dominican Sisters: Preaching with Words and Actions

Since founding Siena Heights University in 1919, the Adrian Dominican Sisters play a major role in the SHU community. Everything from lending a helping hand to anyone in need to educating people on different religious topics, the Adrian Dominicans are there.

Director of Formation/Vocations Sister Lorraine Reaume, OP, said, “Being a Dominican Sister means being committed to the Dominican Congregation. It means dedicating your life to preaching the word of God and truth. Not only preaching with words but through actions.”

Reaume is in her 18th year as an Adrian Dominican Sister. Prior to becoming a Sister, she worked as a teacher and a lay missionary. The Dominican life has taken Reaume all over the country. She has lived in Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Alaska and now currently resides in Adrian.

She said, “Being open and free to change and moving is part of the Dominican Life. Being a Dominican Sister has made my world big, so to speak.”

SHU gives students who are interested in the Dominican life many opportunities to get involved and get the full Dominican experience. The Dominican Young Adult group is an organization on campus that is led by Sister Reaume. She also heads an event called “Come and See Weekend: Preach with your Life.” She said this is an event that gives interested students the opportunity to spend time with the Dominican Sisters in learning as well as praying. They also go more deeply in their history and their values. There has already been one event this year and will be another one in the 2016 winter semester.

When asked what being a Dominican Sister means to her, Reaume said, “To try to preach the word of God in a way that brings life and hope to others.”

She said “seek truth, make peace, reverence life,” is the Adrian Dominican motto.

For any further questions about events, clubs or the Adrian Dominican Sisters, please contact Sister Reaume at [email protected].