SHU Sports Roundup: Jan. 12-19

Siena Heights University Athletics

Jan. 13

Women’s Basketball @ Aquinas, 71-51 W
In battle of Saints versus Saints, Siena Heights had the upper edge as junior Jaaliyah Arrington scored a career-high of 22 points in a 71-51 victory for SHU. Junior April Watson led the team in rebounds with 14, and sophomore Azalea Miller had a team-high five assists in the win.

Men’s Basketball @ Aquinas, 71-63 L (OT)
The men’s basketball team gave all they had to 22nd ranked Aquinas, but didn’t have enough left in the tank for overtime in their 71-63 loss. Sophomore Tony Jackson led the Saints with 14 points, and senior George Goodman contributed 11 points of his own along with seven assists. A Goodman 3-point basket towards the end of regulation forced overtime, but a quick 7-2 run to start the extra period for Aquinas created a hole too deep to dig out of.

Jan. 15

Women’s Track & Field @ Saginaw Valley State University Classic
The Saints had four first-place performances at the Saginaw Valley State University Classic. Senior Kasey Renshaw placed first in weight throw with 63 feet, 2 inches (19.25 meters), freshman Madison Pierce placed first in long jump with a 16-10.5 (5.14m), sophomore Sheila McKinley placed first in pole vault with 12-04.5 (3.77m), and sophomore Amber Koprin took first in high jump at 5-8 (1.73m).

Men’s Track & Field @ Saginaw Valley State University Classic
Just like the women, the men’s track & field team also had four first-place performances at the Saginaw Valley State University Classic. Junior Dominic Muessig took first in the 800 meter run with a time of 1:53.52, senior Zakary Haines took first in the 400 meter run with a time of 49.17 seconds, sophomore Robert Drew took first in shot-put at 52 feet, 2 inches (15.90 meters), and senior Richard DePalma placed first in pole vault with a 16-4.75 (5.00m).

Jan. 16

Women’s Basketball vs. Lawrence Tech, 72-57 L
The 20th-ranked Lawrence Tech Blue Devils proved to be too much for the Saints in the closing quarter, outscoring SHU 21-10 in the fourth quarter on their way to a 72-57 victory. Rebounding was the difference-maker, as the Blue Devils out-rebounded Siena 45-28. Senior Ra’Shawn Calvert led the Saints with 16 points in the loss.

Men’s Basketball vs. Lawrence Tech, 68-56 W
A strong second-half performance in which Siena Heights outscored Lawrence Tech 41-29 was key in its 68-56 victory over the Blue Devils. Jerrell Martin led the Saints with 15 points, and the SHU bench played a huge victory in the win, outscoring the LTU bench 22-12.

Jan. 18

Women’s Basketball @ Alma, 66-61 L
A second quarter to forget ultimately doomed the Saints, as they were outscored 25-8 on their way to a 66-61 loss against Alma. The Saints outscored Alma 14-11, 22-16, and 17-14 in the other three quarters, but it wasn’t enough to make up for the second. Jaaliyah Arrington led the Saints with 24 points in the losing effort.