Speed Interviewing Put SHU Students on the Career Fast Track

On Feb. 17, the SHU SHRM (Society of Human Resources Management) group conducted a speed interviewing event in Dominican Hall. This event allowed Siena students to take part in three mock interviews with actual employers. These interviewers work mainly in Lenawee County, but two Promedica recruiters based in Toledo were able to attend the event as well.

“We’re going to spend about 15 minutes with each student, asking them questions for about 10 minutes. And then we are going to give them some feedback on how they did,” said Julie Emmons, an employee from the Lenawee Intermediate School District.

The feedback that the interviewers gave the students focused on the student’s appearance, personality, maturity and abilities.  An overall score was then given to the student.

This speed interviewing event has been an annual occurrence at SHU for the past four years.

“I think the first year we had 15 students participate, and it’s grown to the point where this year is the largest we’ve had,” said SHU Career Services Specialist Melissa Growden. “We have 36 students participating today and 16 employers. So it’s a really nice way for our students to get to know the community. We make a very concerted effort to have employers from a variety of majors so that students get to interview with employers from their field. So they really get that true experience. We’ve had students in the past get job offers.”

Kathryn Taylor, a member of SHU SHRM, said, “I’ve had an interviewer come in and ask if it’s OK to give out business cards because she had positions she needed to be filled.”

Any job-seeking SHU student was able to participate, but it only occurs once during the winter semester. The timing of this event is to help prepare the students for the upcoming job fair season, Growden said.

Growden said she offers to help any students who missed the speed interviewing event this year if they want to set up a mock interview. They can go to her office located just outside the Library.