COLUMN: Finding Your Siena Family

COLUMN: Finding Your Siena Family

Finding your Siena family is crucial to thriving in college. At first, it may seem like campus is a sea of unknown faces with no one to really make you feel at home. Well, that quickly changes. The best part of “the Siena Effect” is that a family is created here on campus. Your friends become family, but some faculty and staff will also take a special place in your heart.

I don’t know how many of you have been to the Performing Arts Center, but there is a very special lady who runs the whole place. Her name is Amy. To me, she’s my Siena Mom. I can go to her when things are crazy and I do not know which way to turn, when my world is flipped upside down, when something wonderful happens or a quick little coffee date.

I cannot tell you the amount of times I have gone to Amy to vent, and she has listened and offered some of the wisest advice I have ever received. The best part, is that I always get an incredible mom hug from her. That’s what makes everything okay.

If you ever get a chance, stop by and say hi to her. She’s an incredible lady.

So, how do you find your Siena Mom and family?

1. Start with your friends.
Yes, simple beginning step. By now we have all found our group of friends who we know will support us. They becoming the close-knit family that we have been craving in our college years. Choose people who want the best for you and who challenge you. A Siena family has disagreements and engaging conversation that helps us to grow.

2. Check out your major’s office.
I happened to be a work study in the Performing Arts Center, and that’s how I became so close to Amy. Maybe there is a professor who has really helped you or another faculty staff who has really supported you.

3. Really tell that faculty or staff member how you are.
It’s easy to pass by and say, “oh yeah, I’m fine.” Be honest, because we are blessed with an excellent staff here at Siena. If you can’t be honest with a faculty member you will not find your Siena family. You cannot expect them to read your mind.

4. Don’t worry too much about finding the perfect Siena family.
People who have things in common with you will find you. Your support system might start small, but once you reach your senior year, it will become the best part of you college experience.

The Siena community is something that we are all proud of. It’s a tradition as old as Siena itself. Let’s continue this community-based mentality and preserve it for future Siena students.