Saint of the Week: Raphael Dunson

raphael dunson

Raphael “Rah Rah” Dunson

Taylor, Mich.

Senior

Football

Business Administration

Alright, Rah. I know how appealing it must have been to be part of a university with a first-year football program. But don’t you think it was a little risky? I mean, what if it hadn’t worked out like you thought?

“I mean, being a businessman, I feel like there’s a high and low. Sister Peg, faculty/alumni, and the coaching staff put it in our hands and let us run with it the way we wanted to. Coaches always preach, ‘Those who stay will be champions.’ We wanted a national championship. We didn’t get it, but we did get a championship out of it. We wanted to lay the foundation down, and we accomplished that.”

In high school, you were a multiple sport athlete, and even here at SHU, you ran track and field for two years and played on the basketball team for a year. What made you want to stick to football your senior year?

“Coming in, I knew that football was my passion and that’s what I was here for. Looking at it not only as a financial standpoint and the opportunity to grow as an athlete in these respected fields, I knew they would always be there if I wanted to further pursue them. But I had to let them go. I knew my future would be on the football field and not on the basketball court. I had to commit to football and devote time in and out of practice and games to be great. I sought after greatness. I aimed to be the best on the field at all times, and that wasn’t going to happen if I was spending the off season on the court or track. They’d always be there for me, but football was always what I gravitated toward.”

Now, most of the students on campus know you, and surely they know the Mrs. as well. How did you and All-American Phoenix Duncan meet, if it isn’t too romantic of a story to retell for us?

“We saw each other around, and we were friends first. You know, the general story. It was never nothing like we were good friends; it was just always innocent flirts. But one night during camp, she came to hang out and her, my roommate, and myself were all hanging out, and that’s when things changed, I guess. We just clicked. It was weird ‘cause before her, I wasn’t a man known for relationships and I didn’t want to be, but she changed the game.”

This past season was mixed with success and a bit of disappointment. Would you consider what this first senior class accomplished on the field bittersweet in the fact that you won the conference but weren’t able to get a playoff berth or were all expectations surpassed?

“Bittersweet without a doubt! Man, damn. A lot of stuff was flaky. We played for so much, and the games we lost we lost on our own. Something always went wrong. Against Marian, the first half we had them beat, but the second half we just didn’t show up. Same way with Grand View. They played a perfect game, and we didn’t. Being the first person pulled that game, it really hit me. Something we had been playing for had been taken away from us. No matter what happened with the other games, we knew it was over for us, and the committee would say ‘We didn’t deserve a shot.’ I just will always have those ‘What if’ moments in my head. It’s bittersweet, but I feel like we gave the younger guys something to fight for.”

What made you decide to go into Business Administration as your field of study as opposed to something else SHU offers? I mean, I’ve seen your transcript, so it obviously wouldn’t be too hard of a task to have gone into something else. So, was it preference or more of a reluctant choice which you later found that you liked?

“Growing up, I always told my parents I wanted to be a doctor because they make money. I found out I have a weak stomach, though, and I hate hospitals. And I realized I needed to join a different path. Tenth grade, I knew what I wanted to do as an entrepreneur and I knew the steps I had to take to achieve this dream of mine. Business was soon the perfect path for me.”

How have you enjoyed your last semester at SHU, knowing that after this, you’ll likely be in the world doing your own thing if you haven’t already with your internship/job?

Last semester, I knew I would be able to play with my teammates and be a family. I have a part-time job now with Huntington National Bank, and I definitely feel like that could be a great career path if football doesn’t work out. I would like to move down south somewhere in Tennessee ideally in the future and branch out that way. Lately, I’ve been able to kick it with my friends and get time to myself, which was great and feels good for me. I want to be able to walk across the stage with the guys I came in with four years ago and know that we can leave with our heads held high, and I hope somebody would say I had a positive impact on this campus. It’s been a great experience for me and definitely bittersweet.”

The last four years have flown by to say the least. What’s one thing you’d tell the freshmen readers to take advantage of or look forward to in college, and what’s one thing you’d encourage them to steer clear of while grinding it out without being watched every waking moment, like in high school?

“The thing I’d tell them to stay clear of are expectations. I want them to know college is what you make it and not walk in thinking it would be a cake walk, like high school or a party every weekend. Turn your focus not only to your weaknesses but also your strengths. You have to be able to remain level and know that you have to take of yourself while you’re here no matter what it is. If you’re bad at taking tests like I was, take advantage of the faculty and time you have to study and be prepared at all times. Never put all your eggs in one basket. Building relationships is the advantage in college. Everyone’s network is different, so be willing and have an open mind and be accepting of everybody.”

Now that the season is over, I know you’ve gotten some looks and feedback for potentially going into the Canadian Football League (CFL). How’s that looking for you, and how are you balancing the travel and training regiment that goes with this while preparing to be finished with college?

“Hundreds of other films they receive on other players. They have to be mindful of who they’re picking and wanting to let into their business. You have to be mindful and allow yourself to be open to everything else and take care of school first and your body in the proper way. The travel is crazy. I traveled to Chicago, got back to Michigan at 3 a.m. and worked the next morning at 8 a.m. It’s insane to think I am putting all this work in to wait around, but if you ask me, it is a beautiful problem to have. Nothing is guaranteed, so I know nothing is certain for me right now. It’s mentally exhausting. Easily the most nerve-racking thing I’ve ever been a part of. As nerve-racking as it is, it’s the biggest blessing from God I could ask for.”

Would you rather be a sloth for a week or an angler fish for a month? Now, for those who don’t know, an angler fish is that hideous thing in Finding Nemo which Dory and Marlin escape from with the lure on its head.

“I’d rather be an angler fish. My looks haven’t ever gotten me anywhere.”