Will Classes Always be in Classrooms?

Ever wondered what it’d be like to have your stats class in the morning in your normal classroom, followed by basketball practice in the afternoon, mixed with dinner and some relaxation time before going back to your room for your English night class online?stevie robinson

Yeah, same here. In my four years of college here at SHU, I’ve taken zero online courses. Now, this isn’t because I’m against it, or would rather get the rich experience of a classroom with long lectures and showing up in class. Truth be told, half the time, I despise going to class! The real reason I haven’t taken any online classes while on campus, and the reason most of us probably haven’t taken online classes on campus throughout the school year, is because we don’t see them offered.

We hear all the reviews on how our school’s online degree programs are one of the top in the nation. But those degree programs and classes are geared solely toward the individuals who reside off campus and don’t attend here in Adrian. This is just my perspective, but if students are paying thousands of dollars over a span of four years here, shouldn’t we have access to the best of everything our school has to offer?

It’s one thing for us as Adrian campus students to not be able to participate in online courses if they interfere with our on-site courses or extracurriculars. But what about when those excuses run out? What about when the online course is on a subject you’ve been wanting to be involved with for two years and it’s finally offered, but you’re not allowed to take it?

We, as students, as young adults, are beginning to be, if not already aware of, what we are interested in and are willing to commit to. We don’t ask for much at our age. A little independence, some interaction, and the chance to prove to ourselves, our peers, and the naysayers that we’ve got a handled on certain things around us. Now, if we aren’t even allowed to take a course because we don’t fit the geographical or personal criteria, then what can be said about the programs we’re actually invested in, along with the institution who holds the cards of those investments?

Some of us won’t have stay-at-home jobs where we make six figures and can stare at our monitors in deep thought and in search of answers to various questions. However, from the looks of it, none of us will be taking online classes on a Wednesday night discussing political conspiracies on the Bush administration in our night attire, either.

With this in mind, sign me up for an online class in a fall semester. I wouldn’t mind sitting in my room skivvies once or twice a week myself.