Can We Get Up and Get More Involved?

VOICE OF THE VOICELESS

They say that college is the time where you create who you are and who you are going to become for the rest of your life, from your friendships, career, and ideology. This is one of the greatest points that will ever come in your life.

So, are you doing enough to expand yourself?

There are so many options here at Siena Heights for getting involved in school. All it takes is getting curious about what is around you. There are plenty of clubs like Dominican Young Adults: a group who works for spiritual enrichment, the expansion of knowledge of the traditions and values upon which this university was founded, and do service projects. If you are a bigger fan of writing and showing your individual talents, then maybe Eclipse, a creative writing group, is the thing for you.

Looking for a connection that extends past your college experience? Well, look into joining either a sorority (Phi Sigma Sigma for women) or fraternity (Pi Lambda Phi for men).

Looking for something more based around your major? Well, nursing, sports management, science, music and math majors have clubs they can join. There are also groups that bring about discussion, prayer, international relations, support of equality of sexuality and race.

There are more than 30-plus approved student clubs on campus. If a club isn’t the thing for you, then why not try joining a sports team? With perks of being a walk-on to any of the teams, if you show some effort and try really hard, you never know what could come of it. You could possibly earn a scholarship out of it.

If you don’t feel like completely committing to something, then you don’t have to get involved. With Siena having tons of events happening around campus, you can pick and choose what you do want to do and what you don’t. You have the ability as a student here to go to any game for free. So why not go to them? It’s the simplest way of getting involved.

What if you never heard of any of these before until now?

Not all organizations here advertise well or state that you can join them. Also, not many people may know that there is an option to become a walk-on to a sports team.

What if none of these interest you? Maybe it’s not that you aren’t interested in getting involved, but the choices you have aren’t exciting you? Siena is a small university, so choices can be limited. That is still not an excuse to not get involved.

Why not get involved with student government, or present an idea for an event? Get the information on how to start a new group and present it to be added in as an official student club. There is always an option. You just have to take the first step and try.

If you are interested in getting involved with clubs go to http://engage.sienaheights.edu/student-organizations.html to find out more about the organizations on campus.