Homecoming Week Is Here!

The most highly anticipated week of the year is finally here: Homecoming Week.

Siena Heights University has events planned all week for the students. While the football game on Saturday at 1 p.m. might be the main event, students will be showing their school pride all week.

To kick off the week comedian, Zoltan Kaszas, will perform at 9 p.m. Monday in Rueckert Auditorium, sponsored by SPARHC. Gabe Dunbar, the director of Student Engagement, said, “It’ll be great. He does really good show.”

That night they will give an overview of everything that will be happening that week.

Residence Life will host a Fall Fest program on Tuesday in Ledwidge Hall, St. Catherine Hall and Campus Village. All across campus there will be cider and donuts and other enjoyable fall activities.

On Wednesday night, the pep rally will begin at 9 p.m. in front of the University Center. It is suggested that students should come with their athletic teams to show team pride. Student Engagement is working with the cheerleaders and the band director to put together a night full of school spirit. Homecoming t-shirts are tentatively being passed out throughout the day on Wednesday in order to make the pep rally more focused the school.

“It was too chaotic that night and I think some of that just got in the way of what it was supposed to be about. I think in general the t-shirts kind of get in the way,” Dunbar said while discussing some of the issues with last year’s pep rally. “They are a fun piece, and we like to do them for students. But we don’t want it to be so crazy that it’s like ‘Okay it’s about the t-shirts and not about being a true fan.’ ”

Thursday night there will be a showing of ‘Jurassic World’ at 8 p.m. in front of Ledwidge Hall.

On Friday night Student Engagement is planning on a Fan Mob for the three events that night: women’s and men’s soccer games, and the women’s volleyball match.

Dunbar said, “We tried to do this two years ago because that Friday of Homecoming there was so many home sporting events. We are trying it again.”

He said they want to get a “massive” group of students to meet before the games and decorate themselves with hairspray, face paint, and other sorts of crazy stuff.

“Then, they as a group would go to the women’s soccer game, get really loud an rowdy, and then at 7 run across the street to the volleyball game, get rowdy there, and then the men’s soccer game. So, that’s the idea we’re trying to get Student Advisory Committee to really take that on. Obviously it will start at 6, but we’ll have the students meet at 5:30 by the stadium,” Dunbar said.

Tailgating will be Saturday from 10 a.m.-1 p.m. before the football game.

“Tailgating is designed for everybody. So students, alumni, family, friends… anybody can stop by”Dunbar said. “There will be a lot of freebies. There will be some inflatables and lawn games and just kind of fun place to hang out here between the UC and the PAC (before the game.)”

Get ready, Saints! This should be the best Homecoming Week yet!