Spears: Siena Heights on Track Despite COVID

Cortez Spears

Despite the world going through a pandemic, the athletes at Siena Heights are still finding ways to respond to adversity. The Siena Heights track team started to practice and workout beginning on Aug. 26; the day after students officially moved back on campus.

Cortez Spears, a veteran member of the men’s track team, explained how the 2020-21 season is going to be a little different this year. Spears is currently a senior studying business management from Detroit, and is a sprinter for the team. He said this year the team has to wear a face masks when close to each other and during warm-ups.

Cortez said that it is very difficult to work out and breathe in these masks while in the competition, so they do not have to wear them while they are running. He said he feels safe and does not seem too concerned about catching the virus. He said, “as long as everyone keeps there distance and follows the rules we should be good.”

An additional measure taken is after every workout all equipment is wiped down and disinfected.

The University is taking many precautions to make students and teachers feel safe when on campus, he said. There are mandatory daily screenings to report temperatures and giving a colored sticker that changes daily.